In a well-maintained engine, a timing chain can last up to 300,000 miles or even longer.
Which cars have chain timing belts?
Below is a non-exhaustive list of cars that can be fitted with a timing chain:
- Most BMWs.
- Most Mercedes.
- All Cadillacs.
- Alfa Romeo 159.
- Chevrolet Corvette.
- Dacia Duster, Sandero, Sandero Stepway.
- Honda Jazz.
- Mazda with Skyactiv-G engine.
What’s better timing chain or belt?
Belts are quieter and because of their material, less expensive to produce. Timing chains are housed within the engine and receive lubrication from engine oil and can last a long time, while timing belts are located outside of the engine and tend to dry out and crack.
Is my car chain or belt driven?
In order to tell if your car has a timing belt or a timing chain you must inspect your engine. Check the side of your engine, if it has a tinplate or plastic cover, you timing belt. If your engine has neither of those, it has a timing chain. There are a few exceptions to this rule although they are few and far between.
How do you build a drive shaft?
- Draw the bending moment diagram to find out the maximum bending moment (M) on the shaft.
- Calculate the area moment of inertia (I) for the shaft.
- Replace the maximum bending stress (Tb) with the given allowable stress for the shaft material.
- Calculate the radius of the shaft.